Friday 15 March 2013

Sex, Gender and Sexuality

I’ve been thinking about sex for some time. In fact, I’ve been thinking about sex for about 11 years, and even more so recently (which I am attributing to the long-term effects of someone –who-shall-not-be-named giving me ant-flavoured hot beverages at the weekend), but that’s not what I’m referring to. It’s not even the same meaning, which is apt, as the meanings of sex is what this piece is about.


I’d always considered sex and gender the same thing, basically thinking the latter was a more formal and euphemistic synonym of the former. However, as I’ve now discovered, when you hang around psychologists, that bird don’t fly no more. Sex and gender become two different things; sex takes on a biological and deterministic meaning, while gender forms a more abstract, personal psychological concept, with inherent ties to the concept of self, and other such grandiose ideas that tend to send me scurrying for cover. It is this idea that drives the acceptance of transsexualism and gender-queerness, that such characteristics are indicative of conflict between one’s sex and one’s gender.

But my coffee-fuelled mind raises a couple of objections, or at least modifications, to this new idea. Firstly, sex isn’t deterministic. I don’t think it’s a bell curve as such, but rather two overlapping distributions forming a bimodal-like distribution, which I’ve described below:

 

Genetics define the two distributions; you are male if you possess a Y chromosome, and female if you do not. But it isn’t as simple as that. Sufferers of Klinefelter’s syndrome, for example, are XXY; they are phenotypically male, but textbook cases present with feminised features and often fertility problems. Sufferers of Klinefelter’s would fall in the cleavage of my graph (huh-huh it looks like tits), on the male side. However, maleness and femaleness needn’t be typified by conditions; there is probably a normal distribution across the whole population. If gene expression varies between individuals (which it almost certainly does), it stands to reason that some people may exhibit very high levels of one set of sex hormones, and very little of the others, and may fall at the edges of my graph, whereas those with more balanced levels (who may be more androgynous) would be in the middle. This androgyny would be separate to hermaphroditism, in that androgynes would be genitally one sex, but there degree of maleness or femaleness would be similarly low; the runner Caster Semenya comes to mind as an example of a very masculinised female. This complicates the sex-gender conflict; not only gender, but also sex, is a variable concept. Ms Semenya presumably identifies very strongly as a woman, which probably made her biologically ambiguous sex all the more distressing. This isn’t an abstract or philosophical argument either; fertility medicine must be concerned with a patient’s position on the sex dimension, regardless as to whether they identify as male, female, or transsexual.

 

That last word bugs me. I have nothing against transsexuals (I’m not Julie Burchill), although if I know one personally I am unaware of it. My qualm is with the word (still not Julie Burchill, don’t worry). I would much rather it were transgender, as it then lies on a gender continuum:


  The word transsexual confuses gender with sexuality. The two are definitely linked, and are also linked with sex in a three-way (obvious innuendo fully intended) interaction. However, being transgender does not preclude one from being heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual… hang on, there’s loads of these: this one’ll be a really FUN graph…





So, yeah. Those are my thoughts on that. You’d never guess I have real work that I’m supposed to be doing, would you?

No comments:

Post a Comment